One other day, one other unicorn recognizing.
These as soon as elusive creatures of the company world — privately-held firms valued at a $1 billion or extra — definitely are plentiful nowadays.
Simply this week, GeekWire reported on one other Seattle startup — 5-year-old recruiting tech platform SeekOut — becoming a member of the unicorn membership. After which right now, one other blockbuster unicorn boosted its valuation, with Seattle-based gross sales engagement software program firm Highspot elevating $248 million at a $3.5 billion valuation.
The speed at which these startups are elevating cash at lofty valuations is thoughts boggling, with many longtime watchers of the startup ecosystem saying they’ve by no means seen an funding tempo at this degree. In actual fact, international enterprise capital investments greater than doubled final 12 months, reaching an all-time document degree of funding $621 billion. Greater than half of that haul — $311 billion — went to U.S. firms, in accordance with CB Insights which referred to as the previous 12 months “bonkers.”
Unicorn startups aren’t simply frolicking within the mossy-covered Northwest. There are 959 startups around the globe now with valuations of $1 billion or extra. That’s up by 69% over 2020 ranges, that means 517 new unicorns joined the membership final 12 months, CB Insights reported.
Earlier than we study extra in regards to the present crop of Seattle space unicorns, just a few attention-grabbing info about this group of 15:
- Not one of the Seattle space unicorns boast a feminine or Black CEO, a disappointing statistic that indicators how the enterprise and startup neighborhood has an extended strategy to go to diversify.
- Microsoft’s lineage runs deep. Of the 15 firms on the checklist, 9 of the businesses make use of CEOs who frolicked on the software program large, many in high-level government roles.
- Once we compiled the Seattle space unicorn checklist in December 2020, there have been 10 startups. That checklist dropped by three final 12 months when Remitly and Sana Biotechnology accomplished their preliminary public choices and Auth0 bought to Okta for $6.5 billion.
- Even with that attrition, this 12 months’s checklist has grown to fifteen, that means eight new unicorns have been minted in 2021.
- Enterprise software program nonetheless guidelines the roost within the area. Ten of the 15 firms promote their wares to different companies. Are you able to identify the 5 different startups? (Trace: They’re in the actual property, client web, transportation, clear tech and gaming classes).
- And most amazingly: Collectively, this group of 15 Seattle space unicorn firms raised a whopping $2.3 billion prior to now 12 months. To place that quantity in perspective, that compares to a grand complete of $2 billion that each Washington startup — 175 in complete — raised in all of 2018. And that annual haul was the best since 2000. It’s secure to say: There’s some huge cash sloshing round.
Now, with out additional ado, let’s meet the 15 unicorn startups.
*Editor’s observe: Information collected by way of GeekWire, PitchBook, LinkedIn and SEC filings.